Cannabutter & Cannaoil 101
Cannabutter & Cannaoil 101
It is always important when cooking that if you want high quality results, you must start with high quality ingredients. Butter in particular will absorb the smells in your fridge quickly so make sure your butter is fresh and stays well wrapped prior to use. Oil can also go bad or rancid. The best way to tell if your oil has turned is to smell it. If it smells like fermenting fruit or has a sickening sweetness it has gone bad. So for the best results, use high quality cannabis and fresh butters and oils.
Oils and butters with the highest fat content will absorb the most THC, so coconut, olive and avocado oils are great options. The butters with the highest fat content tend to be the European style butters like Plugra. Lower fat butters contain more water and can be less flavorful so take a minute in the grocery store and read labels.
Crock Pot Cannabutter
1/2 oz. Decarbed Cannabis
1 lb. Butter (4 sticks)
Crock Pot (Slow Cooker)
Large Bowl or Container
- Set crock pot on low
- Pour 2 inches of water into the crock pot.
- Add butter and allow to melt in the water
- Add cannabis to the butter mixture
- Cover, allow to cook on low 8 hours stirring occasionally
- Turn off crock pot and allow mixture to cool for 30 minutes before straining
- Carefully, pour butter through cheesecloth into a larger bowl
- Allow all of the liquid to freely pass through the strainer then gently squeeze all of the liquid out of the strained pouch
- Repeat until all butter has been strained
- Discard cheesecloth and cooked plant material
- Refrigerate butter overnight or until solid
- All of the remaining water should have sunk to the bottom of the bowl
Using a knife or spatula, carefully remove butter from the bowl and discard water.
In order to consistently dose, remelt butter and pour into a butter mold. Place back in fridge overnight or until solid
Ryan’s Strain Spotlight: Purple OG Kush Ryan facebooktwittergoogle-pluslinkedin Have some snacks ready before testing out this extremely potent indica. Providing users with both an intense head and body heavy sensation, Purple OG Kush is one of the more popular...
Ryan’s Strain Spotlight: Hash Plant Ryan facebooktwittergoogle-pluslinkedin There are several strains in existence that are referred to as Hash Plant. Originally described as unknown phenotypes of Afghani or Pakistani strains. This version is very exciting to us...
Ryan’s Strain Spotlight: Chemdawg Ryan facebooktwittergoogle-pluslinkedin This Hybrid from Bedford Grow has developed quite the name for itself over the years. Chemdawg has practically secured itself a permanent place in the cannabis hall of fame. It's known for its...